I’ve had pleasure to participate in the first Polish gathering of teal enthusiasts. The event with filled with great presentations and discussions and I’m not trying to share it all, just few random notes & observations I made.
- Holacracy seems to be the approach most people start with. However, it seems to me no one does by the book. People take what suits them – usually roles, circles and governance & tactical meetings. Sociocracy is mentioned less often.
- Many people says that revolution approach (introducing the whole set of teal practices at once) works better than the evolutionary approach. Interesting.
- All agree there are various levels of being teal and there is no simple way to tell “how very teal are we”. And nobody seems to care.
- LaLoux’s book is a must read. Spiral dynamics is mentioned all the time.
- Some people are “incompatible” with the teal organizations. They will leave on their own sooner or later.
- When you bring down the hierarchy then various issues – hidden so far – will emerge. It is gonna hurt.
- Being teal (whatever it means) starts with one’s ability to look into their own emotions and needs.
- There is no simple path from hierarchy to teal. It will go differently than you think.
- Teal is all about engagement.